How to get involved
What's the process?
Contact your local Nuffield Coordinator, who can come into school to talk to you and your students about the programme, including the financial support we can offer.
Students then make an online application, at which point they will nominate you as a referee and you will be sent a link so that you can complete your reference online. You must follow the link to complete your reference, as you cannot register yourself on the system without doing so. If your student is successful, the coordinator will match them with a placement.*
*Independent students will be expected to find their own placements, but should not start looking until their application has been confirmed as successful
Please note that if you are nominated as a referee for multiple students, you must click on the link in each individual email you receive requesting a reference.
If your school has a high proportion of students on Free School Meals, our Coordinator can provide extra support, including pre-application sessions to help students develop their CV writing skills, and support with report writing and presentations.
- Year 12 (or equivalent) students
- Studying a science, technology, engineering or maths subject
- 5 Grade A* - B at GCSE including English, maths and a science
- Interested in continuing with science, technology, engineering or maths after school/college
What financial support is available for students during their projects?
Travel expenses are available for all students.
In addition to travel expenses, a bursary payment of £80 per week is available to students who fit the following criteria:
- Are eligible for, or in receipt of, Free School Meals or have been in the last six years
- Are receiving discretionary payments at school or college*
- Have a total household income below £30,000
- Are living in, or have lived in, local authority care
* Please note this does not apply to academic scholarships at independent schools
You can find out more about the type of projects past Nuffield students have done by looking at our student case studies.