Law in Society
Under the law and society theme, Trustees will consider proposals on:
- administrative justice and tribunals (typically citizen relations with the state: social security appeals, special educational needs tribunals and so on), and other forms of tribunals;
- other areas of civil law, including mental health law, welfare law, funding of civil law;
- empirical research in law including European law, functioning of the legal system, human rights law etc. Comparative research that examines the functioning of law in different jurisdictions is also of interest.
Within the above areas, Trustees will consider:
- proposals involving cross-country comparisons between the UK and Europe, or other appropriate cross-national comparisons are of particular interest;
- proposals related to objective reviews of government policy or practice are also of interest, as such work properly makes use of the independence of an endowed Foundation.