Student applicants


Spend your summer holiday developing your research and quantitative skills on a short project that will enhance your university application and career prospects.

Nuffield Research Placements take place in your summer holidays after Year 12 (England) or equivalent. You will work on a project that relates to an area of science, quantitative social science, computing, technology, engineering or maths (or a combination of these). Most projects are based in an office, but some include working in a laboratory or fieldwork.

Placements are between four and six weeks in length and are available in your local area. Your placement might be in a university, research institute, company, or voluntary organisation. You will work alongside professional researchers on a project that is an important part of their business.


To apply, you must:

  • Be over 16 and in full-time education in the UK.
  • Have at least five GCSEs or Scottish Nationals at grade B/Grade 6 or above, including maths, a science subject, and English or another humanities subject.
  • Studying one or more A-levels or Scottish Highers (or equivalent) in science, technology, engineering or maths.

Anyone who meets these criteria is eligible to apply, but we will give preference to students from low-income families, those with no family history of Higher Education, and those who have not previously participated in a similar enrichment activity.

In assessing your application, your regional coordinator will also consider the quality of your personal statement and your teacher reference.

Applicants who meet these criteria are not guaranteed a placement, but they will be shortlisted subject to suitability, availability and location of placements.

Charlotte at Royal Holloway

Travel costs and bursaries

Your placement will not cost you or your parents/carers anything. We reimburse travel costs for all students (to a maximum of £300). You may also be eligible to receive a bursary if you meet one of the following criteria and provide a short declaration from your parents or carers to that effect:

  • Are eligible for, or in receipt of, Free School Meals, or have been in the last six years
  • Are receiving discretionary payments at school or college (this does not apply to academic scholarships at independent schools).
  • Have a total household income below £30,000 (before tax).
  • Are living in, or have lived in, local authority care.

Independent schools

We award a small number of places to students from independent schools, but we ask students to source their own projects. This should be within the region where your school is located. You should not start to search for a project until your application has been confirmed as successful.

If you are studying at a boarding school, please see our Student FAQs.

See also

STEM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics. We offer placements in all these areas.

Find out how to apply for a Nuffield Research Placement

Have a look at our case studies to find out what types of project are available

Find out about British Science Association CREST awards

Look at our students' journal articles and NRPs in the media

Also on the web

Register a new application or login to your existing account through the online application system